About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-three year old human being male. I'm mostly made out of water. I'm soggy.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Healthy, wealthy, white American male.

No one thinks they are evil. Doubt in yourself is the only thing that is going to encourage you to continue questioning your ethics and lifestyle. The first step toward evil is to believe you are doing good. To believe you are a patriot, a hero, a martyr, a fighter, a leader is to cock a gun. Every flaw in me has some sort of perceptible moral attribute. The only human aspect I think I can argue is truly evil isn't even ignorance, but apathy.

And I am hell.

From my living room I can see people die in movies and shows, and I can feel nothing. I've played countless video games about killing, in scenarios of vague moral justification, and I can have fun.

Nestled comfortably on the couch, I can see on the news thousands of humans suffering on the other side of the world because of my nation, for my comfort. I know about laborers working and dying in terrible conditions and for wages that only bind them into debt. I know of billions of animals that have never seen natural light from birth to slaughter. I know of refugees displaced from their homes by child slave armies. I know of humans like me thrown into secret prisons and tortured indefinitely for maybe opposing foreign domination, maybe not.

But instead of thinking about it, screaming about it, really doing anything about it, I'd rather stick my nose in a book, watch a comedy, and go to bed after brownies and ice cream.

The tree of my prosperity is rooted in dark blood.

And I eat from its fruit everyday.

No comments: